If you’ve been looking for a way to incorporate more healthy greens into your meals apart from smoothies and salads, this Moringa risotto recipe is a great way to switch up your meals.
Moringa is known for its high vitamin C, calcium and antioxidant content. It’s one of nature’s finest multivitamins in a leaf form and can be enjoyed in smoothies, on salads, in soups or stews.
Risottos are basically rice cooked in broth until it reaches a creamy consistency. The broth may be from vegetables, fish or meat. Some people may add milk or some kind of cheese to the dish to boost its flavor.
Our recipe today is from Little Bites of Beauty. It is 100% vegan, fiber-rich, gluten and dairy-free plus it uses a blend of Moringa and other veggies for a nutrient boost!
Makes approximately 3 servings:
1 1/2 cups of Brown Rice
2 tbsps of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 leaves of Sage
1/6 White Onion, chopped
1 clove of Garlic, minced
1 medium, organic Zucchini
1 cup of sliced Mushrooms
1 head of Broccoli (or 4 heads of Broccolini)
6 cups of your choice of Stock
1 cup of Coconut Milk
1/4 tsp of Turmeric
1/4 tsp of Pink Himalayan Salt
3 – 4 tsps of Moringa powder (depending on how strong you like the flavor)
- Dice onion, sage and garlic finely then wash and cut all the vegetables in to medium sized chunks and set aside.
- Heat up the broth in a small pan.
- In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil and add in onion, sage and garlic. Allow them to brown lightly and add rice. Toast rice for a couple of minutes while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Mix in chopped veggies and pouring the broth over the rice with a ladle bit by bit allowing rice to absorb the liquid. This usually takes about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Keep your stove on low heat and keep an eye on your risotto. Remember to stir every time you add more liquid.
- Once the rice has absorbed all the broth, add in salt, turmeric, Moringa powder and coconut milk. Mix until rice grains are perfectly creamy and yet firm and still holding their shape.
- Enjoy your mushroom brown rice risotto warm with a side of salsa or any sauce of your choice. Garnish with a few slices of raw mushrooms on top.
Ps: Loved this recipe? Share it with a friend!